Saturday, November 13, 2010

White Chocolate and Pumpkin Pancakes

If necessity is the mother of invention, the best recipes follow a similar rule. My best recipes come from experimenting with what is in the house and severely altering an idea I found elsewhere. This recipe, for example, came from a recipe for (not gf) pumpkin spice pancakes that my friends mom used to make with Bisquick. I know they now make a GF Bisquick but to be honest, I have never liked pancakes made with it. It's a biscuit thing to me, savory not sweet. We aren't big pancake fans in this house, but I was in the mood for experimentation. I wish I had my camera so I could show you these now.....

Gluten Free flours, as I've said, work differently so they frequently need a little more liquid than a non gf recipe. When my batter was a little too thick I added what I had. White Chocolate creamer. It was one of the best things I have ever done. I think I will make pancakes more often now!

White Chocolate and Pumpkin Pancakes

Dry ingredients
  • 2 1/3 cups All purpose GF flour
  • 3 Tblsp sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ginger

Wet ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup White chocolate creamer
  • 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
  • butter for greasing the griddle

Mix dry ingredients well in a large bowl
Whisk together wet ingredients in a small bowl ( I use a 4 cup measuring bowl for liquids..I can measure and stir in one bowl. Less dishes is always a plus. I hate dishes ).
Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened. DO NOT overmix. Lumps are a good thing.
Cook on an electric griddle, greased and set to 325ish, flipping when bubbles appear on top.

Serve and enjoy! delectable. mmmmm.....

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, but do you have a recipe that is not gluten free?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cala,

    Since we can't eat food that isn't gluten free, I don't make things that aren't but you can replace the flour in this with regular all purpose flour just fine. I would reduce the milk by 1/2 cup and the vegetable oil by 1/4 cup. It should work fine.

    ReplyDelete