Sunday, September 12, 2010

Opening Weekend Chili and Praise for RedZone

In our household things are a little different. DH has ZERO interest in football but the girls and I wait anxiously every year for the start of NFL season. Autumn is my ALL TIME favorite season and football is one reason for that.

Being from the Pacific Northwest, Seattle is our primary team. We live, however, in Colorado so we definitely root for Denver, so long as they aren't playing our Seahawks. Pom is also a big time Dallas fan and we root for Indy and New Orleans too. St. Louis is my best friends team, big rivalry there. We love watching the Rams games in order to root against them.

Here is the problem. We live in Colorado. The ONLY game we cared about that we could get today was Denver (which didn't turn out so well). After a few frustrated minutes of searching for a live stream on the computer, I called the cable company. "How much is RedZone? Good. ADD IT NOW." I haven't ever cared about that channel because I always got my games. Really? I should have added it a LOT sooner!! I missed NOTHING from ANY of my games! :) It was fantastic!! I HIGHLY recommend it.

The other good thing about Autumn and Football? Comfort Food. What better comfort food for opening weekend than Chili? Not just any Chili, but Chili made with stew meat and bourbon....decadent, easy and comforting all in one.



Opening Weekend Chili (or Whiskey Chili)

  • 3 Tbsp EVOO ( Thanks Rachel Ray, that's a MUCH easier way to write that )
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced (or crushed)
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 pound beef stew meat
  • 1 large (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 large (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 3 cans beans...kidney, pinto, black...a mixture...your choice. I use black and kidney. (or approximately one pound of dry beans, fully softened and cooked)
  • Chili Powder, a bunch. I estimate I used about 4 Tbsp.
  • Cumin ... about 1 1/2 Tbsp (again I estimate)
  • 2 shots Bourbon or Whiskey
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)



Heat 2 Tbsp oil over med-high heat. Saute onion, garlic and green pepper. Season with a bit of salt, cook until onions are softened. Meanwhile, put tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add onion mixture. In saute pan, add remaining oil and stew meat. Season with salt and pepper. Saute about 5 minutes until browned but not cooked. Add to slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients.
Cook on low 8 -10 hours or high 4-6 hours. Adjust seasoning as desired.


Enjoy with GF cornbread and grated cheddar cheese!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, gonna try this one tomorrow and see how it is. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete