Friday, September 3, 2010

A Month of Vacation and Gluten Free Potato Soup

It's been awhile. I know. After nearly a month of "vacation", we are back in our little town. I have only been back for a few days but I already miss home so very much. I have all my family and some wonderful friends there, but I do have good friends here as well. One of them recently had her tongue pierced (recently as in yesterday) so it is really swollen and painful. All she can really eat is soup, and only if it's cooled off. Poor thing. Yeah, she did it to herself but once the swelling is gone it'll be awesome. (I love that word...it'll) So, since Potato Soup is her favorite that is today's recipe. It was lunch today and I don't have my camera so please be patient on pictures. All of the children aged 2 to 9 LOVED this soup as well. I have to make more next time!!

Herbed Potato Soup

3 TBSP butter
3 slices uncooked bacon, cut into pieces
1/2 large onion, chopped
4 large baking potatoes, sliced
4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
2 cups water*
1 TBSP garlic powder
3 TBSP Herbes de Provence
1 1/2 cups half and half
Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste.

Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Saute bacon and onions until bacon is cooked and onions are transparent. Add potatoes, herbs and broth plus water. * (You can use 6 cups of broth). Cook until potatoes are soft. Use an immersion blender to blend the potatoes until smooth. A couple of small chunks are okay. Add half and half, stir well. Simmer about 15 - 20 minutes. Serve and Enjoy!!

This amount fed 3 adults and 4 kids but all the kids and 2 of the adults wanted more. :)
Now that we are back in town I have LOTS of stories and recipes. I realized a few things and changed my entire outlook on everything. I look forward to sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment