Thursday, March 31, 2011

Games, unplanned school and a Gluten Free Mediterranean Lasagna

With it being Spring Break, there hasn't been a lot going on at our house. We have been sorting things for an upcoming yard sale, reorganizing furniture (this is common) and generally relaxing. Turns out there has been a lot of school going on under my nose though!

Part of that was because I SCORED at a yard sale last week. I found rare and old books (collectors here, I have a LOT of bookcases). I found Amelia Bedelia (five different books!). But what intrigued me most were the games. A LOT of them. For a dollar a piece.

Awesome Learning Games!!

My camera still has no charger so the pictures are NOT fabulous but these games are awesome. The girls LOVE them and they learn a TON.

This is why I love homeschooling. Civics class was "taught", word problems were finally mastered, a unit on fractions was begun, spelling lists were made and studied, vocabulary was learned (the two new favorites are loquacious and discretion) and science has been a proficient part of every day. And this was our week OFF. No plan, no "lessons". I love my life.
I played around with food this week too. A couple of near misses and a disaster were made up for by this. A Mediterranean Lasagna that is easy, delicious and oh so flavorful. The little scholars were THRILLED with it and it took virtually NO prep work. I was really just throwing stuff in that sounded good to me and it worked. REALLY WELL!

Mediterranean Lasagna

  • 6 GF Lasagna Noodles
  • 1 large container Ricotta Cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • Salt and Pepper (freshly ground preferably) to taste
  • 1/2 handful fresh Oregano leaves, torn to little pieces
  • 1/4 cup marinated artichoke hearts, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, quartered
  • 12 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
  • 3-4 cups fresh spinach leaves
  • 1 jar gluten free marinara sauce (I prefer Organic and such)
  • 1 cup fat free 1/2 and 1/2
  • 1 cup shaved parmesan
  • 2 cups mozzarella, divided

*all cheese measurements are "about". I just add. I like cheese. Too much.

To make lasagna, preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, egg, salt and pepper, oregano, grated parmesan and 1 cup of mozzarella. In a deep 9 x 13 casserole dish, layer in this order:

  1. 1/3 cup spaghetti sauce
  2. 3 noodles
  3. 1/2 cheese mixture
  4. artichokes
  5. mushrooms
  6. spinach
  7. olives
  8. rest of cheese mixture
  9. 1/3 sauce
  10. 3 noodles
  11. remaining sauce
  12. half and half
  13. shaved parmesan
  14. remaining mozzarella

cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for about one hour.

No precooking, no chopping (if you buy pre-chopped), easy quick prep. YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment