Friday, March 18, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Okay, I realize that St. Patrick's Day was yesterday but I tried something new yesterday and it apparently didn't work. I typed it on my phone and tried publishing it through a blogger app. I either did something wrong or the app didn't work.

I didn't want you to miss out on the recipe though since my family makes it way more than once a year! If I don't make Boxty on St. Patrick's Day, I get in trouble but I make it more often. I remember my grandmother making this for breakfast with fried eggs and bacon (WARNING: NOT a low calorie food) but even though she told me that I had to learn how to make it or I would "never find a man" she never taught me. So I scoured the internet. I chose the recipe that most closely resembled the way she did it. Then I changed it. I called my aunt to confirm a couple of things since she HAS the recipe. It's in a cookbook that my aunt keeps locked up. So far my aunt and I have traced the cookbook my grandmother used through the late 1800's, and she believes it originated with a particular ancestor in Ireland, which is why I don't have the book or the recipes. Yet. "Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan..."

ANYWAY, Boxty is a fried potato patty. I say butter or bacon grease but the best way to do it is to fry the bacon in the pan first, draining the excess fat into a jar as you go. Then make the Boxty, adding more drippings as needed, then fry the eggs. IF you don't use bacon grease or salted butter, add a little bit of salt to the batter.

Boxty
  • 1 medium size potato, grated, raw
  • 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (leftover)
  • 1/2 cup rice flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tblsp milk
  • Pepper to taste

Mix the flour with the grated potato to soak up the liquid then add the mashed potatoes. In a small, separate, bowl, whisk the egg and milk together. Add to the potatoes and mix well. Add pepper as desired. Drop by spoonfuls on a hot griddle or pan with melted butter or bacon grease. Cook until browned on both sides, flipping once.

That's it! Easy, huh?

Pom and Diva hard at "work"

In homeschooling news, we have been studying Ireland and her flag. We talked about the many wars and even made a cake decorated like the flag! The leprechaun was not caught of course but he did leave some cute trinkets. Probably cause the cake's so cute :)


How was your Holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment