Thursday, June 23, 2011

Experimentation = Lessons Learned (and how to poach an egg in the microwave)

In my newly found oven/stove free state I have been learning many a new lesson and experimenting profusely.

Pom likes eggs. We fry them on my electric griddle but she likes them poached and boiled as well so this morning she said, "Mommy, do you think we could boil an egg in the microwave?" I, having never actually used a microwave for much more than popcorn and coffee, said "I have no idea, let's try it!"

LESSON ONE:
DO NOT ever try to boil an egg, in shell, in the microwave. They explode. They make a big mess. They make an icky smell. Well, I thought so. Pom and Diva swear it wasn't as bad as I think it was.

So we cleaned up the mess and tried for poaching instead.

LESSON TWO:
You CAN poach eggs successfully in the microwave. Just crack two eggs into a microwave safe bowl with 1/3 (ish) cup of water and microwave for a minute or so. Check it after one minute, if it isn't done enough put it back for another minute and so on. Poms were perfect after 2 minutes.

I have also been experimenting, for dinner, in the crock pot. I thought "Lasagna noodles cook fabulously in the sauce in the oven, why can't I cook spaghetti noodles in the sauce in the crock pot?"

LESSON THREE:
Ew. It does NOT work the same way. The noodles were a very odd (read: ew) texture. Pom, Diva and the Mechanic swear to me that the taste outweighed the texture and they were tolerable. I disagree. I could not stomach it. The taste was good, don't get me wrong. But the texture. OH the texture. * shudder *

At least some of my experiments are turning out all right! Really good in fact!
TOMORROW: Lesson four and it's recipe....YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment