Saturday, April 30, 2011

Zuppa Toscana

We have been on an Italian kick when it comes to cooking lately. It's a good thing we figured out how to make it gluten free! I have a serious affinity for the Olive Garden but while they do have a gluten free menu, my favorite things aren't all on it of course. There isn't one within about an hour of here anyway so I have taken to the internet (and experimentation) to help.

My all time favorite dish there is Zuppa Toscana. Yes, it's just a soup but I frequently ordered just the soup, salad and breadsticks specifically for this soup! I found the recipe recently on Tuscan Recipes but, sadly, I am lazy so I altered it just slightly. SO SO SO good. I served it with a Mediterranean salad and homemade dressing.

Zuppa Toscana

  • 1 Tblsp olive oil
  • 1 pound Italian Sausage (GF)
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 slices bacon, diced
  • 3-4 garlic cloves
  • 10 cups water with 5 bullion cubes (GF) OR 10 cups Broth
  • 3-4 large potatoes, sliced
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 - 1/2 bunch Kale, torn into bite size pieces

Saute the sausage, pepper flakes, onion, bacon and garlic over medium heat in a large soup pot until sausage is no longer pink and onions are softened. Add water and bullion or broth and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until potatoes are softened. Add cream and kale, heat through and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment